Security Advice for Rioting and Looting
Berkley Asset Protection and your broker want to make sure you stay safe and prepared during this troubling time. We encourage all jewelers to have a plan in place, as riots and looting continue to occur in many communities.
- Put all merchandise away in a safe or vault. Do not leave any jewelry in plain sight
- If you are unable to secure all jewelry in the safe or vault, plans should be made to take the low value goods home during daylight hours. You can reach out to your broker for increased travel limits and to discuss specific scenarios
- If your local police department warns of a possible event, follow their advice and board up your premises
- If your store is already secured with boards, consider writing “no jewelry onsite”
- Operate with reduced hours that allow closure in advance of the evening
- In the event of an alarm situation, do not go in the store without police
- Do not attempt to defend or sleep in your store, your safety is more valuable
- Avoid covering showcases, it gives the impression that valuable items are underneath
- Take your inventory records offsite
- Make sure your security cameras are operational
- Pay close attention to local authorities on potential activities and prepare accordingly
Rest assured that we will adjust each claim promptly and fairly. Should you have a claim, please follow these steps.
- Secure your premises
- Take pictures and video of the damage
- If possible, take an inventory of what has been stolen and damaged
- File a police report
- Report the claim as soon as possible to [email protected] and your broker
Our thoughts are with everyone during these unprecedented times and your agent may provide more communication as the situation continues to unfold. For more information, you can also refer to the Jewelers’ Security Alliance.
Please contact us at any time & stay safe,
Greg Smith-Executive Vice President of Claims
Andrew Chipman-Vice President of Jewelers Block