Winter Weather Checklist
Premises Winter Preparation Checklist
- Check your roof for condition and debris.
- Check your roof drains to make sure they are clear and properly functioning.
- Clear all gutters of leaves and debris.
- Confirm your thermostat is functioning and your boiler has been serviced for the year.
- Seek out drafty areas in your building and add insulation.
- Make sure your sidewalks are clear of debris and in good condition.
- Buy salt/ice melt for the sidewalks.
- Confirm snow removal contracts and procedures are in place.
- Confirm all outdoor lighting is functioning.
- Get your weather mats ready for the winter.
Pipe and Water Checklist
- Keep an emergency water supply. Extreme cold can cause water pipes to freeze and sometimes break.
- Check all pipe insulation.
- During bitter cold snaps, leave all water taps slightly open so they drip continuously.
- Keep the indoor temperature warm.
- Allow more heated air near pipes, for example, open cupboard doors in front of pipes.
- If your pipes do freeze, do not thaw them with a torch. Thaw the pipes slowly with warm air.
Know Winter Storm Warning Definitions
- Winter Weather Advisory: Expect winter weather conditions (e.g., accumulation of snow, freezing rain and sleet) that could cause severe inconvenience and life-threatening
- Frost/Freeze Warning: Expect below-freezing temperatures.
- Winter Storm Watch: Be alert; a storm is likely.
- Winter Storm Warning: Take action; the storm is in or entering the area.
- Blizzard Warning: Seek refuge immediately. Snow and strong winds, near-zero visibility, deep snow drifts, and life-threatening wind chill.
Be proactive! Develop a plan and execute!
For additional Loss Control tips please join our LinkedIn Group and visit BerkleyAssetProtection.com