Take Action to Prevent Slip-and-Fall Accidents
Keep your customers and your staff on their feet by taking these steps to prevent slips, trips and falls.
- Clean up wet areas and spills immediately.
- Post a sign in areas where wet floors are likely, for example, at entrances during rainy or snowy weather. Carpet mats may be a good choice in these areas.
- Keep cords and other objects out of walkways. If a cord needs to cross a walkway, tape it down.
- Avoid throw rugs; they are trip hazards.
- When it snows, assign a staff member to shovel and spread salt/de-icer at specific intervals outside entrances and exits and on sidewalks and parking lots. Keep a log of these activities as proof of your safety focus should someone slip and fall on your property.
- Keep workspaces and walkways clear, clean and well lit.
Remind staff members about other safety measures:
- For stairways, install a sturdy hand railing and encourage staff to use it.
- Wear appropriate, slip-resistant shoes.
- Slow down, especially around corners, obstacles and doorways.
- Take stairs one step at a time and limit the load you are carrying so you can see the steps.
- Keep work areas tidy and clean.
- Use a correct ladder when accessing items overhead … don’t use a chair, table, bucket or box.
- Ask for help.
Be proactive! Develop a plan and execute!
For additional Loss Consulting tips please visit BerkleyAssetProtection.com.